WHY ARE YOU NEEDED?
Read Voting Rights and Vote Suppression, a comprehensive presentation by NVC ‘s founder Alice Smith. It will be updated after important Supreme Court Decisions. Voting rights’ supporters are welcome to download the latest presentation and associated video for non-commercial use. Click here to watch her October 30 presentation filmed at the MidPen Media Center of Palo Alto, California.
Voters are suppressed and discouraged in many ways:
- Fewer polling places mean longer trips & longer waits.
- Last-minute changes to inconvenient locations make polls hard to find.
- Inconvenient hours and locations for registration.
- Excessive voter ID requirements.
- Suppression of Voter Registration Drives: In many states, restrictive laws (for instance, requiring the presentation of a birth certificate) make it virtually impossible to conduct voter registration drives.
- De-registering “inactive” voters without reasonable notification, such as sending postcards designed to look like junk mail with instructions in tiny type instructing voters to reply if they want to remain registered,
- Interstate Voter Registration Crosscheck Program, or “Crosscheck,” is a list-sharing system run by Kansas Secretary of State Kris Kobach to eliminate allegedly “duplicate” & “fraudulent” voters. Under the system, states who participate can compare voter lists in order to “purge” lists of voters who are registered in two states. 29 states participate in the Crosscheck system. It is designed to guard against the nearly imaginary problem of vote fraud; one study estimated that there were about 31 cases of vote fraud in over 1 billion votes cast in the United States between 2000 and 2015.
- Eliminating vote-by-mail options (that allowed busy and home-bound people to vote)
- Felony Disenfranchisement: Over 6 million ex-felons nationwide are prevented from voting (1.68 million in Florida alone).
- Intimidation (“poll watchers”)
- Mishandling votes (inaccurate machines, losing votes, etc.)
- Gerrymandering redraws districts to make selected voters irrelevant.