RECLAIM OUR VOTE is a volunteer-driven, nonpartisan voter outreach campaign to help empower voters of color and fight voter suppression, especially in the South.
RECLAIM OUR VOTE is organized by the nonprofit 501(c)3 Center for Common Ground of Virginia, with the help of the NAACP, Black Voters Matter, VoteRiders, DemLabs, Mi Familia Vota and other organizations. Beginning with the Virginia election in 2017, dozens, hundreds, and now thousands of Reclaim Our Vote volunteers around the country have written postcards, phoned, texted, and canvassed voters of color – first, to make sure they are registered to vote, and then to encourage them to vote during the elections.
Reclaim Our Vote Accomplishments:
- 2018 with our partners – more than 250,000 phone calls to Alabama, Georgia, Mississippi, Texas, and Virginia
- 2019 – 347,000 postcards, 90,000 phone calls, and 114,000 texts to Colorado, North Carolina, Texas, and Virginia, as well as billboards and geofencing
Reclaim Our Vote Impact:
- 35% increased turnout in Alabama Black Belt (2017)
- 85% of our calls (contacts & voicemail) with our partners and work on the ground in Alabama resulted in votes (2017)
- 65% of our calls (contacts & voicemail) with our partners and work on the ground in Georgia resulted in votes (2018)
- 5% higher turnout than expected for North Carolina Special Election (2019)
- 40% turnout statewide in Virginia in 2018 compared to 29% in 2015 (many groups from across the political spectrum worked to turn out the vote in Virginia; Reclaim Our Vote reached out to more than 225,000 voters)
Reclaim Our Vote Objectives 2020:
In 2020 we are focusing on states with 20% or more voters of color, significant electoral votes, and a Senate seat in play. Our objective in 2020 is to increase turnout among voters of color by at least 20% over 2016 in at least 4 states where voters of color comprise more than 20% of the population. Likely states include TX, AL, NC, VA, GA, MS and AZ.
Sign up at bit.ly/reclaimourvote
For more information contact email@example.com
Have you seen “Suppressed: the Fight to Vote,” a 35-minute film by Brave New Films about the huge voter suppression problem in Georgia? Prepare to be shocked that this could happen in our own country, and to understand the urgency behind the Reclaim Our Vote campaign.